Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Obama Exerts Executive Privilege on F&F Docs.. Move along, Nothing to see here.

I saw the breaking news while I was at work this afternoon. (I'm in England, remember.) Obama had granted Holder's request for Executive privilege on the 2300 pages that the House Oversight committee had been asking for since well forever.

Since Holder's power point presentation didn't sway over Issa last night, and the vote for contempt was still going forward today Holder went begging to his boss for a favor. A favor Obama was more than willing to issue. Because of this Congress now has to contest Executive Privilege on all these documents so that we can find out just how deep into this Eric Holder or other members of the DOJ were involved.



Over at Hot Air they raise a great question. "What in the sam hill is in those documents?" Personally I would have used a few different words, but ummm, family site and all I guess.

The left is up in arms about republicans being upset about Obama using executive privilege on this when no one got all huffy when Bush did it back during the Alberto Gonzalez quandary. Now for a little perspective, the Gonzalez issues were about firing US Attorneys, while bad for PR probably not breaking any laws, Fast and Furious caused the death of US Federal Agents.

I don't know the next course of action to get executive privilege lifted if someone does please let me know. Somehow I'm pretty sure this isn't over. Quite honestly I'm not so sure that I even agree with the possibility of Executive Privilege, Congress gets classified testimony all the time. I realize that the Obama White House can't keep a secret and congress is notorious for leaks but still. What could be in those documents that could even come close to National Security issues. I mean hell the Mexican Government already knows that we let 2500 guns into their country and into the hands of one of the most deadly drug cartels in existence. What more could we possibly find out?

Here is the letter that was sent to Issa this morning:

Dear Mr. Chairman:
After you rejected the Department’s recent offers of additional accommodations, you stated that the Committee intends to proceed with its scheduled meeting to consider a resolution citing the Attorney General for contempt for failing to comply with the Committee’s subpoena of October 11, 2011. I write now to inform you that the President has asserted executive privilege over the relevant post-February 4, 2011, documents.
We regret that we have arrived at this point, after the many steps we have taken to address the Committee’s concerns and to accommodate the Committee’s legitimate oversight interests regarding Operation Fast and Furious. Although we are deeply disappointed that the Committee appears intent on proceeding with a contempt vote, the Department remains willing
to work with the Committee to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution of the outstanding issues.



Oh wait, thats right, if the Mexican government found out that this was a level of stupidity that reached the highest levels of our government, well that could pose some issues couldn't it.

I can't take this any more. How can the stupidity not just be rebuked. How can this possibly go on in THIS country. We are talking about the government of the most powerful nation on earth acting like some third world despot.

Here is a small reminder for you about how adamant Obama was against George W. Bush "hiding behind" executive privilege.


For the record I do not believe that the Government should have to be completely open about everything under the sun to every person in the country. However, I believe that right resides with the White House ALONE. When you are appointed as AG you are allowed to be there by Congress. There is a reason that there is a committee designated to the oversight of the DOJ. It is called checks and balances, I can't hide information from my boss, well I can but I won't be employed for long, the same situation applies here. Congress is in effect the boss of the DOJ not the White House, your boss has spoken, now give it up.

Now once the vote for Contempt gets out of committee, anyone else have doubts that John Boehner will actually allow a full floor vote?

Personally I don't understand why he wouldn't. With everything that is going on with Fast and Furious, especially now that the MSM has to report on it, isn't this the perfect thing to hang around Obama's neck come Nov. Hell if I was running his campaign and trying to sabotage it, I don't think I could have come up with a better story line.

No comments:

Post a Comment